Thanks for stopping by!

I look for interesting details of the wedding market and report on them here. I have traveled the country this year speaking with many photographers about everything from workflow to marketing... Everyone I met was willing to participate in a meaningful way to the discussion of market trends. That showed me that you are all very passionate about the business of wedding photography! I will continue to report on trends here as I see them come up in the industry. Please bookmark my blog, pass it around to friends and of course comment on what you find here! Thanks for visiting my blog, I appreciate your time! Putting together a new blog over at http://jbrides.wordpress.com/ so will be slowly transitioning to that!

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hijack! -- Storytelling

February 21, 2007

Tell OUR story to make your point

In the game of life and the biz of business, story telling is the key to being understood. When someone is able to relate a story to you in the context of a conversation, you get engaged. This can lead to a breakthrough understanding on your part and maybe even empathy.

Even stickier, when someone can recollect a story from their life, it gets more engaging. There is a hierarchy of stories that progressively increase engagement. Check out this clip (never before seen online or anywhere else) of my faculty appearance at the 2001 Think About conference on this subject of strategic story telling.

This is helpful when you think about internal presentations where there is an abundance of shared stories to recollect and tell. It is also helpful to hone your story telling skills if you want ANY of your ideas to be sticky.

Recommended read: Made To Stick by Dan and Chip Heath (a runaway best seller and must read for anyone who loved The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.

Email thisAdd to del.icio.usDigg This!


I Hijacked this post from Tim's blog...

1 comment:

LaCour said...

Awesome stuff! Seth Godin's incredible ideas about storytelling are part of our workshop curriculum. "All Marketers are Liars" is one of my favorite books!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Best,

Rachel